Notices

Thread: Shamu, The Wing :)

1. Shamu, The Wing :) 
    IP
    I had a Detonator that was raw. Rode great. Got it polished and anodized. Not going to name anyone here, but it rode like sh_t and I was a little confused as to why. After dealing with some issues while riding I finally took a REALLY close look at the leading edge. Ha! Fortunately I have another Detonator that I could compare with. In the first photo below you can see that the leading edge on my good wing runs out to sharp tips, then breaks sharply into a flat sides on the wing. The quirky wing has a rounded tips leading into the flat sides. The flat side edges actually carry into the leading edge. This isn't a good thing! Wing would hunt up and down a bit. I could see the turbulent flow off the wing edges and it gave me a tweak sideways on wake launches randomly.

I am pretty sure that the wing may have been damaged on the wing tip at some point while away from me and then it was just rounded out on both sides. Shame on whomever took the short way out without tuning the leading edge too.

Spoke with Marty for some hand holding, then got my file out and went to town. Now my wing looks like Shamu...

Moral to this story, take a ridiculously good look at your wing before it goes out to anyone else. I recommend a traced outline. And any flat section on your leading edge is bad. :) Oh well.

Sharkhide going on Shamu's white sides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9414.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	400.7 KB 
ID:	12920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shamu1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	12921  

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Just shows you how critical the dimensions and tune are on these devises! Thanx for the post Kelson! Good to know!

IP
    Two questions,

Did the leading edge have a flat spot or just the rounded edge (vs the other wing that breaks sharply)?

Have you rode it since filing the flat edge out and if so how does it ride now because it still looks like it is rounder than the other detonator.

IP
    The wing definitely had a flat leading edge for about 3/4 of an inch on either side. Looking at it from the front it was like a wedge. Thicker as the flat edge rounded in to a thin flat just before it met up with the tuned leading edge.

To get the wing back to a shape that was like the original (with flat sides and a leading edge that ran out and stopped) I would have had to either grind the side edges in or remove a ridiculous amount of the leading edge. The rounded section carried quite far back. Neither of those options seemed like a good idea. So I knew going in that I was going to change the shape of the wing compared to the original rather than trying to get that "sharp" tip back.

Spoke with Marty, He agreed that reshaping the tips was the way to go. His experience was that the sharp tip break to a flat side edge wasn't a critical performance issue. I also noted that I have had wings, like my Max Air, that had the edge tune roll all of the way around on the side.

I only got to ride it once for a short ride last week. We have had a lot of rain and the water was turbid and nasty with lots of debris, but the wing didn't exhibit the quirky ride characteristics. I am hoping to ride this weekend in cleaner water so I can see if the turbulence on the wing edge is still present at all and compare the performance to my "correct" detonator. I am pretty confident that I have produced a decent riding wing at the expense of the anodizing job that fd up my original wing.

The trick to the whole thing was I couldn't just tune the edge at the rounded tips. The wing got too thick. That's why the ano is gone in the weird shape on the sides. I tuned the edge and then faired the edge back into the meat of the wing so there wasn't a "hump".

I'll post again after comparing the two wings in clean water. I wasn't worried about the drastic tuning, because the wing was sh_t as it was returned to me. Very disappointing.

I've repaired a number of wings, tuned a couple of t bars and played with the chisel tune on my Detonator. I know most everyone is nervous about working on wings and t bars, but if it's damaged or riding poorly why not?

IP
    Rode yesterday in clean water. The wing didn't have any turbulence coming off the wing tips, didn't pick up scavenged air and launched cleanly. Happy the new tune worked, but still annoyed that my new ano job is trashed. Might get it done again if there are more pieces to do. Maybe if Murphy has a batch of wings to get anodized mine will go back. Marty was right about the edge tune rolling into the sides as a non issue.