Notices

Thread: AIR by RBM, Identify my ski

1. AIR by RBM, Identify my ski 
    IP
    AIR by RBM

Hi all,

I introduced myself earlier today. Hailing from NM, USA. (Anyone in this state ride please do reach out, would love to meet up)

She's not the prettiest gal on the water, or the fastest... But she sure sings (at anything greater than 22mph).

I don't think I'm allowed to post pictures yet, so here's a link I hope will work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GDYzasbYAcFbBNab9

I first learned on this ski when I was 14(1999). A friend gave it to my dad for some extensive gate welding work, he was like, I like cash, what's an air chair?

I was hooked, loved riding it. I learned quickly that if one were to wreck attempting inverts a helmet would be wise. Found out the hard way of course because both feet came out and that tbar is much harder than my head, my dad still thinks my head's harder.

Does anyone ride with knee pads or am I the only pansi? Man does it leave a mark when they clap!

I'm finally in the position to upgrade and wasn't sure if I was doing myself a favor thinking this way... It takes real skill to fly this beast.
    Would I lose all those mad skills on this new xxxrated-ufo-flying-phoenix technology available today?
    Weighing in at 35lbs, T-bar standing 35in(how do you measure these things, ~24in of flying height), custom 90's foot straps from left over shop rubber, as far as i can tell original lap strap that will remind you for days that you've cleansed the sinuses with lake water. She sings, did I mention she sings, anything faster than 22mph she will be uncontrollable and sing a special tune heard only by the rider. She's seen her fair share of sun, missing some decals but thankfully the sun damage has allowed for a shadow of reminiscence to show through.

I post here because I didn't think anything of this ski until a few weeks ago. Came across a history of hydrofoil chairs and saw there were 200 purple Air Chair units produced. You all suppose this to be one of those?

You have any stories about your purple beast?

Would there be anyone interested in this enough to help me trade into something much, much, much newer?

I've seen old 2nd and 3rd Gen air chairs go for $500, which still blows my mind.

If you've got any questions about old purple here let me know, thanks for being a classy crowd and hope you have some enjoyment from my pics tonight.

Sam

Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    Can’t see photos but if it’s purple with a pointy nose it is likely an original, 1st generation Air Chair, circa 1990. Does it have heel straps?
    Last edited by skyskiguy; 06-21-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    Duplicate post.
    Last edited by skyskiguy; 06-20-2019 at 08:53 PM.

IP
    I cracked my knees together once. It hurt like I thought I might be seriously injured. A few days later, it was fine. I immediately went to the sports store and got some volleyball knee pads. I don't wear them every time, but as soon as I start practicing rolls again, I will for sure.

You will be in quite a bit of money to upgrade, but good news is that your current ski is still worth something, and when you upgrade, the new one will hold quite a bit of its value. Think of it as a very slowly depreciating asset.

Senior Foiler Elite
    IP
    I can see photos now. Definitely a 1st generation Air Chair with heel-straps added. First year or so had no heel straps. That’s a collectors item!! I’m surprised you can go faster than 18 mph without that thing vibrating like crazy.
    Unless you’re ready to spend at least $1,500 don’t ride a newer ski! Looks like your a good rider - $1,500 would be money very well spent.

IP
    Early 90's Air Chair, ah the memories, The Skurfer, then came the Eric Perez, bought my first AC from Rob Plandomon we called it the "scare chair" for years, even with the foot straps a solid foot push on an over exuberant air jump would give you a case of the Scorpion to T-Bar pillow!

Upgrade your chit you will not regret it.
    JP

Professional Crash Test Dummy