Notices

Thread: Got sucked down hard..?

1. Got sucked down hard..? 
    Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Got out for the first time this season yesterday and a strange thing happened that has never happened before. Just flying along having a ball and all of a sudden I get pulled down to the surface. No matter how hard I leaned back or pulled up with my feet, I could not get off the water. This happened three separate times and once it about pulled the board under the surface and I had to let go. The third time I tried moving side to side and then it went away. I checked my wings and they were still tight after each time it happened.

The only thing I can think of is something got wrapped around my T-bar and drug me down. I just find it strange it happened three times in one day and never before that. If it wasn't something on my T-bar, is there something else I should be inspecting?

IP
    Was it when crossing the wake? Or just in a straight line?
    Colder water than usual can do it. It also happens when going through a school of fish at the surface. Leaves or any debris/weeds will do it, and may not surface to see what did it.

How long have you been riding this same foil?

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    Quote Originally Posted by ShagnWagn View Post
    Was it when crossing the wake? Or just in a straight line?
    Colder water than usual can do it. It also happens when going through a school of fish at the surface. Leaves or any debris/weeds will do it, and may not surface to see what did it.

How long have you been riding this same foil?
    Beginning my third season on this Pro SS. Now that you mention it, it seemed to happen as I was exiting the wake..

IP
    It often helps to get yourself directly behind the boat in the prop wash and then stomp your feet and try to jump.

If your driver is in tune what is happening, they can slow down and usually it will release at about 15 MPH or so. I have an obscene gesture that I use with my buddies that means 'suck down' and they will slow down for me if they haven't already noticed.

I would check the wings for any small dings, that might be the difference.

Some boats do it more than others, IMHO, although I have never seen anyone else publish that. Crossing my Malibu wake seems to get me less glitches and suck downs than the G23 did.

Face Planting Noob
    IP
    When I have had boats cause this, it is just in a spot of the wake or wash and it goes away when you get beyond the dead spot. But I uses to have this happen a lot on my next foils 2 piece tbar, and then it would be really difficult to break free of the suck down. Definitely worse in cold water. Seaweed Around the tbar will do it, but you would have seen that or been able to jump and clear it off most likely. Seems like an equipment issue to me. A tune might/should fix it I would think.