Notices

Thread: What is the best helmet?

1. What is the best helmet? 
    IP
    My old wakeboarding helmet is finally biting the dust. I seem to recall a lot of folks here liking the Gath helmet and I went to REI in Salt Lake to get one. Apparently, I didn't consider the fact that there really is not a lot of whitewater kayaking going on in Utah. The folks at the REI in Las Vegas all but asked me what a kayaking helmet was. They don't carry any helmets. I am afraid to buy one without being able to feel it on my head first.

Going to the Gath website, I quickly became overwhelmed with the huge variety of models. And none of them looked like the one I wanted with a visor. Plus, $150-170 seemed like a lot to spend.

The Shred Ready Super Scrapper looks to be pretty close to what I am looking for.

I suspect that there is not a consensus, but are there a few crowd favorites? And a place to buy with easy returns would be nice.

Reverse Scorpion Professional
    IP
    I like my Gath Surf helmet. It does not have a visor, but I believe a friend has a Gath helmet with a visor. Mine is several years old. When I got it, Murrays was the only place I could find that carried Gath helmets.
    I don't care for the adjustable fit of helmets like Shred Ready.

IP
    I would highly suggest finding a store that has a variety to try on. Every helmet fits different. I have yet to find one that fits comfortably. :/

Unless you do all of your inverts blind, I would also suggest getting one that has maximum visibility in all directions. Any kind of lip or visor will hinder being able to spot landings.

Reverse Scorpion Professional FOILIN FOOL's Avatar
    IP
    PROTEC Original Pro-tec The Full... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JMV9PM2...p_mob_ap_share

Really like this one I just got. And Amazon is always great on returns.

My last one had removable ear flaps...but removable means "lose-able" and I lost one. New helmet is all one piece, much better imo.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by ShagnWagn View Post
    I would highly suggest finding a store that has a variety to try on. Every helmet fits different. I have yet to find one that fits comfortably. :/

Unless you do all of your inverts blind, I would also suggest getting one that has maximum visibility in all directions. Any kind of lip or visor will hinder being able to spot landings.
    You are assuming a lot. I mostly just huck it and hope I am still upright when it all is said and done.

JK, that is a good point.

IP
    Quote Originally Posted by FOILIN FOOL View Post
    PROTEC Original Pro-tec The Full... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JMV9PM2...p_mob_ap_share

Really like this one I just got. And Amazon is always great on returns.

My last one had removable ear flaps...but removable means "lose-able" and I lost one. New helmet is all one piece, much better imo.
    That is what I have now. I may just get another. It has served its purpose well, and I have probably had it for 10 years. I have the ear flaps somewhere in my pile of 'boating stuff that I don't use, but am going to want as soon as I throw it away'. I have funny ear canals that don't seem to channel water properly. I have tried to bust eardrums, but it just doesn't happen (knock on wood).