Notices

Thread: This ski really wants to fly!

1. This ski really wants to fly! 
    Face Planting Noob
    Blog Entries
    IP
    Hello everyone one and thank you. Just getting back into foiling after a long hiatus. I thought it would be easier on my bones. (Not) I bought a cast SS. Loved it immediately and my kids and I are having a blast. I happened across a shiny shiny Pro SS billet with flat board and jumped on it. Came all cinched out. This ski is a rocket compared to the cast. I can’t begin to imagine the pro stuff. I am having some problems with it and wonder if I could get some of your folks great input. I have to stay way forward on it to keep it down. The cinch belt seems to keep me really back on the seat. I have to keep it loose so I can scrunch forward. Would this swivel that I read about help.
    The cinch foot band seemed really sloppy so I switched it back out with the original version but with the Cinch ankle stays still in place. Now I can’t get my feet far enough ahead. They seem to be back four inches from where they should be. Does anyone remount the bindings further ahead? Could these factors be why all I hear is the “sound of death “ while I circle around the lake with my hands over my head with my nose touching my knees? I am sure you have all seen it! Any input would be appreciated and thank you for this wonderful site!
    Dan

Face Planting Noob
    Blog Entries
    IP
    If I might add....... 18 mph., no shim, none of this occurred with the cast. Altitude was in very good control. 6’3” 220 lbs. I should be sinking this thing at 18 mph. No?
    Thanks,
    Dan

IP
    If you are gaining elevation while sitting on front of seat, maybe negative shim the rear wing until you get more familiar with the setup.

gear and end of the rope - endoftherope
    personal site including foiling videos and pictures - http://blmeanie.weebly.com/bluemedia.html

"Pop it when you feel it"

Face Planting Noob
    Blog Entries
    IP
    Thank you Blmeanie. I didn’t really think of that. That should be easy enough to do. I just can’t stop thinking that everything is way too back on the board. Meaning my arse and feet. I didn’t feel that with the stock cast setup but I sure feel it with this new lap bet and binding! I will try a negative shim. But I really want to get more forward on the board. This lap belt is not letting me unless I really loosen it.

IP
    Welcome back! When you cut out to the flats and glide, you want it to lift up naturally. You should need to lean forward about 45 degrees to keep it neutral. This makes it easier to jump and go higher. Another benefit is it's also easier to recover from landings - it will regain flight faster and the board won't smack the water (as hard).

I sit forward on the seat. The "seam" between the buttocks and leg I place directly on the front edge of the pad. The belt should more comfortable then. My belt is at about a 30 degree angle forward. It should be snug, and tight enough you won't slide off over the front of the tower.

Face Planting Noob
    Blog Entries
    IP
    Awesome advice Shag. I took it to the lake today. Things went really well! It was amazing. No longer equipment worries.... now all technique. I always thought to sit up straight. You told me what I was doing was proper and yes it was. My son and I spent all afternoon flying and jumping. We were getting four to five feet of air and almost making it through the wakes. Put my feet in deep and my butt up front and was cruising. Talk to you soon about the next level.
    by the way......live in Connecticut but born in Lawrence....”How bout dem Chiefs “

IP
    That is great to hear! Sky is the limit now! There is a nice section on here for tricks you might take a look at. Tons of info on this site. You might keep an eye out for others around your area on here, or maybe post out on facebook for finding locals. A flyin is the most epic way to learn IMO.